Friday, September 24, 2010

Cueing

Ok, so back to my problems engaging the pelvic floor:  the point that I was getting at is that sometimes the wrong word or concept can completely snafu you in your attempt to engage in an exercise. 

The ‘concept’ of doming worked for me, while the concept of ‘squeezing my pee muscles’ did not.  Even the words dome and squeeze have a completely different effect on me when I’m working out.

Honestly, it still amazes me how a new or different word can unlock your movement potential.

About 6 months ago I discovered the cue:  ‘pull your armpits low’.  Until then it was always ‘keep your shoulders out of your ears’ or put your shoulder blades in your back pockets, or something else that never worked.  With this new cue, however, my chest immediately opened up and I discovered the elusively correct muscles to connect my shoulders into my back. 

My clients are also having a uniformly positive response to this new cueing.  So, try it out if you haven’t already.

No comments:

Post a Comment